26 July 2010

Emma O'Rourke


1. Where and how would you display your work in an ideal situation?
I certainly would not say no to a show at the Saatchi Gallery or Tate Modern in London. I would love my work to be shown alongside a music and fashion event too, since these genres inspire me and resound with my work.

2. If expository writing is good at elucidating and proving a point and
descriptive geometry gives us the tools by which to map objects in space
in relation to one another, what kind of an apparatus does art afford us?
What does art do best?
I believe when I am in my most inspired moments, I am spiritually connected with the world and our Creator. I produce work that transcends explanation although inspired by personal experience. My work features flowers and nature as a means to express certain literal things. Ultimately, I believe the most wonderful paintings are beautiful, and thus evoke a Sense of calm for the observer. Although I like the Saatchi, I do believe that entirely Idea-based art is more akin to advertising and less what I am interested in.

3. What can you expect from your audience/fans/viewing public? What would you
like them to know about your work?
I have no expectations. I Hope that people are enchanted by my work and want to spend time looking at it and living with it.

4. Marcel Duchamp said - "Enough with retinal art!" What is your reaction as an artist to this statement?
This from the man who called a urinal art...? I believe any poop-related art should be kept in the loo for hygiene reasons, and because I don't want my children to grow up thinking making art from poop is okay.

5. Do you think that there is still room for art movements in today's
pluralistic climate?
I am starting my own art movement as we speak...

6. What is one question you wished we had asked you about your art? Please
feel free to answer it.
That'll be $1,000,000, thanks - ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment