28 July 2010

Eileen Williams



1. Where and how would you display your work in an ideal situation?

The ideal situation for displaying my work would be a solo showing at a venue that has great exposure and where the atmosphere is that of a relaxed setting. I believe we should share art with others - from curious children to art loving adults.

2. If expository writing is good at elucidating and proving a point and
descriptive geometry gives us the tools by which to map objects in space
in relation to one another, what kind of an apparatus does art afford us?
What does art do best?
Art is universal. It needs no language to communicate. Art gives us the opportunity to explore the minds of others, and at its best, it awakens our senses at different levels.

3. What can you expect from your audience/fans/viewing public? What would you
like them to know about your work?
As an artist, I take pleasure when my art work evokes conversation, stimulates the imagination and engages people to feel something. I would like those viewing my pieces to know that they are one of a kind, created from the heart and as an extension of myself and my love for art.

4. Marcel Duchamp said - "Enough with retinal art!" What is your reaction as an artist to this statement?
The beauty of art is in the eye of the beholder. Marcel Duchamp's statement, "Enough with retinal art" seems to leave no room for a personal view toward an art piece. What may be unfulfilling to one person, may give visual pleasure to someone else. On the flip side, if given a choice to attend a retinal art showing, (ie. a normal, traditional, unimaginative art show), my personal preference would be a non-retinal art showing. I love to view art that is different and outside of the box.

5. Do you think that there is still room for art movements in today's
pluralistic climate?
In this ever changing world, there is always room for art movements. Although, "there is nothing new under the sun," art movements can bring what we may not have been exposed to and even an awareness about its existence to the forefront.

6. What is one question you wished we had asked you about your art? Please
feel free to answer it.
If I could add a question related to my my art, I would ask: If you could never be paid for the art you create, would you still create? My answer would be yes, I would still create art. My relationship to my art is like a magnet to metal. Creating art is a huge part of who I am. As artists in these economic times, we are not always selling our pieces, but the love of our craft compels us to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment