25 July 2010

Natalya Andreyeva



1. Where and how would you display your work in an ideal situation?
Ideal? It is all relative. Gallery is always a great option, but settings similar to Artomatic attract larger and more diverse audiences. I have done many outdoor shows, and while the outcome was good, it is hard on the artist to create, set up, promote and move outdoor equipment.

2. If expository writing is good at elucidating and proving a point and
descriptive geometry gives us the tools by which to map objects in space
in relation to one another, what kind of an apparatus does art afford us?
What does art do best?
Your question is written in a complicated manner, but, anyway - for me - the art has to awaken an emotion, a question, a thought. If it does not, it is not memorable. It is pointless.

3. What can you expect from your audience/fans/viewing public? What would you
like them to know about your work?
I am an abstract impressionist, but I do love all sorts of collage work. My recent project on the Evolution of the DC Metro is dear to my heart http://www.natyartist.com/Go_DC_Metro.html
I want my viewers to have a deeper understanding of currently "taken for granted" elements in city life and evolution and history in general through the collaged imagery of past and present America.

4. Marcel Duchamp said - "Enough with retinal art!" What is your reaction as an artist to this statement? again, it is all relative.
In this economy, even retail art is soaring. I do think that schools and college programs should emphasize art education and appreciation of creativity. At the same time, when it comes to retail art (or sale of artwork) it all has to be accessible and affordable. I am not suggesting that artists should "sell out" and price their works according to IKEA's business plan, but I would encourage them to have a realistic approach in pricing art work.

5. Do you think that there is still room for art movements in today's pluralistic climate?
Sure, but what is an art movement? A specific style, group, project? There is room for anything and anyone in America (I speak as as an immigrant from Ukraine). The challenge is - will it be sustainable?

6. What is one question you wished we had asked you about your art? Please
feel free to answer it.
Hmm...I would prefer to hear from the viewer about my art or art process. So, if you have a question in mind - ask away!

No comments:

Post a Comment