20 September 2010

Preeti Gujral


1. Where and how would you display your work in an ideal situation?
I'd like my work to be displayed in a small gallery with excellent natural light. Someone who is passionate about the genre of art that h/she shows would run my ideal gallery.

2. If expository writing is good at elucidating and proving a point and
descriptive geometry gives us the tools by which to map objects in space
in relation to one another, what kind of an apparatus does art afford us?
What does art do best?
Just as expository writing informs, and geometry help to position in space, art makes us feel. Art draws the mind and soul of the viewer away from the surroundings and into itself. For the moment of viewing, the viewer becomes part of the piece. Art helps the viewer to momentarily transcend his surroundings.

3. What can you expect from your audience/fans/viewing public? What would you
like them to know about your work?
I would like the audience to be aware of the multicultural aspect of my work. My work comes from the confluence of east and west and is about retaining what uplifts and letting go of what shackles, whether physically or emotionally.

4. Marcel Duchamp said - "Enough with retinal art!" What is your reaction as an artist to this statement?
 I agree that art should appeal to the mind and not just to the eye. In addition, I think that it needs to touch the viewer on a very visceral level. I feel that if it doesn't make you feel or think, it is not a true piece of art.

5. Do you think that there is still room for art movements in today's
pluralistic climate?
 I think that there is. There are many small niches within the art world, eg, street art, fantasy art, and culture- specific art.

6. What is one question you wished we had asked you about your art? Please
feel free to answer it.
How does my art make me feel when I am creating it? It absorbs and fulfills me at the same time. Physical time stands still for me when I am creating art.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent interwiew ! The replies are in depth right fomyour heart and mind.This interview makes me feel you will go very far in art !!

    Jagtaran Gujral

    ReplyDelete